European Union Project “Support to Ukraine’s Regional Development Policy” (SURDP) has started its activity in January 2013 and will last until July 2016.
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the social, economic and territorial cohesion of the country.
Implementation of the Project will strengthen the capacity of Ukrainian authorities and other stakeholders to develop and implement effective regional development policies.
Main Beneficiary of the Project is the Ministry for Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Municipal Economy.
Other project beneficiaries are:
- Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine;
- Cabinet of Ministers;
- Ministry of Finance;
- Administration of the President;
- National Academy of Public Administration (NAPA);
- National Institute of Strategic Studies under the President of Ukraine (NISS);
- Association of Cities, Associations of Regional and Local Authorities; and,
- Oblast and local authorities.
Terms of Reference of SURDP Project foresees a number of expected results:
- A National Policy on Regional Development elaborated by the Government, including the legal and administrative instruments necessary to operate and finance it.
- An Updated State Strategy on Regional Development till 2020 elaborated and approved as well as an Action Plan to implement the strategy
- Regional Development projects implemented.
- Capacity building system improved, network for Regional Development practitioners established and operational.
Specific Project Activities include:
- Development of statistical framework and indicators for assessment of Regional Economic Development
- Updating and implementation of well-coordinated State and Regional Development Strategies
- Development of programmes for overcoming depression of territories in accordance with Article 11 of the law of Ukraine “On Stimulation of regional development”
- Analyses of all regional strategies and implementation mechanisms in Ukraine
- Support to national and regional authorities in developing implementation plans of regional Development Strategies
- Identification and implementation of the regional development projects
- Advice on the application of European Union standards for the selection and allocation of financial sources for regional development