Colin is from Newfoundland, an Island off the east coast of Canada. For over 25 years he has successfully implemented numerous assignments in a broad range of functional areas, most recently related to regional and economic development. In these capacities, he has worked as a Marketing Adviser for Enterprise Ireland in the 90’s when Ireland was rapidly expanding, was a Team Leader in regional economic development in Azerbaijan in the early 2000’s before the oil revenue started to flow, and managed regional economic development programmes through a Public Private Partnership in the Eastern part of Canada linking the public and private sectors in both Newfoundland and Ireland. Over the last 10 years, his main areas of experience have mostly focused on policy advice to governments in the former Soviet Union, reform and capacity development of public administration structures, development and implementation of Regional Development programmes, donor / aid coordination including extensive and recent experience in Regional Development. Currently, Colin is the Team Leader on the European Union financed Support to Ukraine’s Regional Development Policy project which will support governmental institutions in Ukraine to enhance its growth through more effective regional development policy frameworks. This most recent assignment builds on over 8 years of experience in Ukraine. Colin has an extensive educational background including a Master in Business Administration (MBA) from McGill University in Montreal, a Graduate Diploma in International Development Studies (Development Economics), and two other undergraduate degrees (Chemistry and Asian Studies).
Contact the expert
Deputy Team Leader, Expert on the Management of Regional Development
Yuri has been the Executive Director of the Association of Regional Development Agencies of Ukraine (NARDA founded in 2001, is one of Ukraine's leading networks of non-governmental organizations covering all Ukrainian regions). He has had an extended experience of working for technical assistance and consultancy projects in Ukraine and CEE countries. He is co-editor and co-author of a number of publications, including “Towards Europe: Ukrainian Experience of EuroRegions”, “Regional Policy in Countries of Europe: Lessons for Ukraine”, “Regional Development Agencies: Establishment and Prospects” and others. He was involved as a consultant in drafting a number of national legislative acts on regional policy of Ukraine. As well, Yuri has been a member of the Advisory Boards at the Ministry of Regional Development and Construction and Ministry of Economy of Ukraine as well as member of the Civil Society Experts Council at the Ukrainian part of the Committee on EU-Ukraine Cooperation.
Over the last 15 years, Yuri gained valuable local/regional development skills and experience by:
- managing, coordinating and providing expertise in over 30 projects at national, regional and local levels in countries of Central and Eastern Europe in line with EU best practices;
- transferring of EU knowledge and know- how on regional policies and its adaptation to Eastern European countries’ context;
- advising to national/regional/local authorities and institutions in countries of Eastern Europe on various issues of regional development (specifically, management of RD cycle of planning, financing, implementing, monitoring and impact assessment, on RD institutional development, and capacity building);
- advising on legislation, economic and policy requirements (in line with EU and international best practice);
- setting-up, managing and providing capacity building to regional development agencies and other development institutions including preparation of statutes, articles of incorporation and internal procedure manuals;
- facilitating regional development strategy and regional operational programs building processes, elaborating analytical and statistical databases for conducting of social economic audits of regions;
- designing, fundraising and management of RD projects from inception to completion; preparation of project proposals and application process (identification, development, evaluation and selection of project proposals) in line with the EU and other donors’ procedures;
- evaluation of project proposals and implementation of various (donor financed economic development) projects;
- establishing and managing regional / local development partnerships and networks of individuals and institutions (i.e. RDAs).
Contact the expert
Еxpert on Project Financing and Implementation
Bernard has a long-standing (over 30 years) experience in Financial Management/Organization of Banking operations, Financial Engineering, and Banking/Capital Market Operations, starting in EU countries (France) within the Group Credit Agricole and transferring this Know-How to various CIS countries since the early 90s; Creation of regional financial systems/structures in CIS countries:
Establishment of Agribusiness Cooperatives (Regional Development Fund), Credit Cooperatives; Creation and management of specific Funds as strategic financing tools to strengthen regional development structures;
Capacity Building and Institutional Development: Advising and training senior management staff in CIS countries on management of capital assets, functioning of financial markets, governance principles for strengthening of the institution building process;
Design and implementation of strategic financing tools to strengthen regional development structures. He is fully conversant with the EC aid delivery and procedures and Project Cycle Management.
Bernard has a significant expertise in provision of advice to individuals/legal entities on management of capital assets (Deposit and savings products design and application), as well as experience in processing and analysis of SMEs and regional authorities investment financing requests. He has proven track record in creation and adoption of IT Instruments to ensure proper financial and general management of the related structures (regional development funds, cooperatives and regional banking structures).
Contact the expert